Sunday, September 25, 2011

black and white conversion of digital color photos




For so many years I took photos with my Canon AE1 or Pentax K1000.  The world of black and white is not new to me.  I still use those cameras occasionally.  But, this world of converting color digital images to b&w is a new to me.  I had no idea there were so many methods, and that each method had a different result. Oh great! Perfect for someone with OCD tendencies.  So... the assignment for this week (10 photos converted to b&w) ended up taking me a helluva long time because I wanted to see the differences based on the different techniques (each of which has many subsets of techniques). One could spend gazillions of hours doing this, right?  Last night and today I tested converting directly to grayscale....using the hue & saturation layer...the twin hue & sat method...the gradient map methodology..the channel mixer method (like this one)...the b&w adjustment layer method (like this one)-- and with these methods, tried curves, contrast, blend modes, masks.  Added grain to all of them.  Worked with one image (the bark) just in RAW. So.... guess I found a few I prefer.  Here are a few of my favorites from that shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment