Sunday, September 18, 2011

OK, so for our first assignment, I obviously was into mirrors




3 of the 10 chosen shots for the first class assignment were mirror shots (2 of them are above), plus, of course, I got a reflection of The Plaza in the glass decorative ball shot.  One of the things I like about photography is that it helps us see places differently.  I don't just want a snapshot - I want an image that will remind me of a moment or a feeling.  Take, for instance, sad Elvis, looking almost frozen.  He is constantly seeking the approval of the faceless crowd, and the money as well.  I know that to an extent we all put on faces to the rest of the world.  However, to put on a face of a "famous" person, and then hope for the same (or similar) response that this person receives/received from the public, is sad to me.  It's hard enough to be oneself. I can't imagine trying to be someone else. I really can't imagine being an Elvis in a town full of them.  I particularly like the image of the man walking in a seemingly empty area. Can you tell that I took this shot into a large glass window that reflected behind me? If one looks closely, one sees a man in a wheel chair, hidden by shadows, and another man looking in a shop window. There is another person walking towards me, whose partial image conveys more  solitude.  I'm a fan of Edward Hopper and his influence pervades a number of my photos.  Hopper could have created some amazing paintings in this town.

No comments:

Post a Comment