Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Karaoke World!

For what it's worth, I decided to do my final project in the karaoke lounges of Las Vegas.  I went to three different locations, but was asked to leave in one, and in the second one couldn't get very close.  So most of the shots are from Saddles and Spurs, a country-western themed bar.   The KJ (karaoke jockey) eyed me a bit suspiciously with my camera, but never asked what I was doing.  He tried to call my bluff by asking me to sing, so of course, I complied! Then, he seemed a bit less wary of me. Funny that none of the singers asked me why I was taking photos of him/her.  I think I would ask if someone hung around for hours taking photos of me and others.

 I had to boost the ISO  and shoot at f/1.2 so the images are grainy.  Nevertheless, I think these ten I chose capture the feel of places like this - fun, sad, a community of like-minded folks who like to sing and are a pretty nonjudgmental bunch.  Some people dress the part of the singer whose songs they like to sing, while others just come as they are.  Most are sincere in doing their best.  I wasn't able to capture another aspect of karaoke - college-aged (usually) groups of people whose intention is simply to make fools of themselves.  Even they, though, are welcomed with open arms by the karaoke followers.   Here is a sampling of the singers: 

obligatory sad Elvis
                                                                                                                                   

the audience


singing the blues

folk singer

dancers

crooner                                                                                              

country
posing

forever in blue jeans


smile

No comments:

Post a Comment