Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Homestead


Photo courtesy of :Walter Sargent, UM-Farmington -- Homestead and its mill in the 1890s

The time spent writing and refining my script on the 1892 bloody battle between steelworkers against Pinkertons hired by Carnegie Steel Company has been worthwhile.  Of course, the script isn't just about the battle. I've developed a storyline that focuses on two families (Welsh and Romanian), the union leaders, and Henry Clay Frick's role.  Andrew Carnegie is the backstory as, I believe, he always intended to be when he took his trip to Scotland as the tensions grew between the union and Frick.   I visited Homestead several times in the 1990s, before the last remnants of the mill were destroyed and a shopping center arose.  Typical.  There is a monument to the workers on the land, but nothing that recounts the incredible and shocking events.  I read journals and books written during the 1890s and early 1900s.  There were congressional hearings, and those transcripts provided some valuable background.   I hope that now is the time, with "Lincoln," doing well,  historically based scripts may sell.


So, I'm now in the marketing stage.  Here's hoping I can finally get some serious interest in this story. I have some contacts and methods for getting some looks, but if anyone has ideas, I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment